Show Me the Basics
"I'm a Soul Man!"
Download Printable Checkoff Sheet (PDF): Blues in C - Basic
*Checkpoints can be divided into daily, weekly or monthly lessons. Choose a speed that works for you.
Checkpoint 1 - Form and Basic Chords
You MUST learn the basic form if you are going to play the blues. There are 12 bars (measures) and they are common in more songs than you know.
- 12 Bar Blues Form (watch all videos)
- Blues 7th Chords (watch all videos)
Checkpoint 2 - The Key Blues Movement & The Left Hand
The right hand must get used to moving in certain ways in order to create the blues sound. You'll also be able to use this as a nice Gospel sound as well.
- 1 to 4 Movement (watch all videos)
- Basic Left Hand (watch all videos)
Checkpoint 3 - The Blues Scale and Shape
Learn to see the blues scale as a shape and it will take you to a whole different level!
- Basic Blues Scale (watch all videos)
- The Blues Shape (watch all videos)
Checkpoint 4 - The Mixolydian Mode & Blues Endings
Don't let the name scare you...the Mixolydian Mode is very powerful in the blues.
- The Mode (watch all videos)
- Basic Blues Ending (watch all videos)